Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kailey's 6!!!

I can't believe my baby girl is 6, Kailey's Birthday was this last Wednesday and she asked for clothes... I LOVE IT... she needed them... So that's what she got from Mom Dad and the Grandma's (Thanks Grandma's!!!)
here she is in her "Birthday outfit"
and the backside. (I want you all to notice that Ashlie is also posing for the pictures and following all the instructions perfectly, ie 'turn around'...)

Kailey's Cake... easiest thing ever, I was all worried about making something fancy and then decided to try this one... it was on the back of the box... Yea Betty!!!


K So I went a little nuts on the birthday party yesterday but I went online to find some ideas ( I wasn't about to have a princess party for the 6th year in a row... sorry Kailey) So we decided to to a butterfly party, I found some really fun ideas and here they are
After Annette and I painted faces the kids got to paint Butterfly wands ($ store)



We made these ADORABLE butterflies from craft foam and Smarties... we used them later in a butterfly hunt

We made these "flowers" for the kids to drink "nectar" from when they got thirsty (more craft foam but glittery this time )



We played musical flowers with some pinwheels I got from the $ store, it was of course cold and wet outside (it has been every weekend for the last month or so) so we couldn't do this outside like we had planned but it was fun in the flower pot anyway. The kids flew around the flowers and when the music stopped they all grabbed a flower to smell, the "looser" got to pick one of the other kids "flower's" to keep and the game would continue... I've never seen so many kids avoid picking up flowers, it turned out perfectly.




Then we did a butterfly obstacle course where the kids would have to put on caterpillar antennae and crawl through some cones till they got to the cocoon (a table with a blanket over it) they had to crawl inside the cocoon and change into a butterfly (tricky) then emerge and fly through the "garden" on the other side, jumping over pool noodles propped up as they flew... it was pretty darn fun.



Kailey wanted a "stacked" cake and then asked if she could have three layers, I thought well that's something I've never done before... three layers and a lot of frosting later, YUM! Annette and I made chocolate butterflies to put in the cake to make it more festive ;O) ("I'm just trying to make it more fun" ha ha)



The only knife we had big enough to cut that cake was our butcher knife... you should have seen Kailey's reaction when I put that knife in her hands... she wouldn't even move her arm she was so scared so Todd helped her cut the cake.... SO cute and So much fun! Happy Birthday Kailey!!!

4 comments:

Kathie said...

Oh my gosh! Mother of the Year award! Party thrower of the year award! (You said this would be a HAPPY HOUSE! and it was!) Wow Wendy! So did she get TWO CAKES!?!?!?!?!? Fun games, super cute decorations. I love it! Happy Birthday Kailey!

Laura said...

What a cute party!! Are you trying to make the rest of us look like slackers by doing TWO super cute cakes. How do you "make" chocolate butterflies?!?!?! Very fun. Happy Birthday, Kailey.

SADACAD said...

Those chocolate butterflies are awesome! I can't believe how big Kailey is getting. Fun party!

Todd and Wendy said...

It wasn't soooper hard, I got all the ideas online, the whole thing only took a couple hours of (fun) prep time. The butterflies I melted chocolate and put it in a ziplock and then "piped" it onto wax paper with a peice of paper under it that Annette had drawn the outline of butterflies onto... fun stuff!